Kik is an amazing app. However, using it on the small android screen can be troublesome. In this article, I am gonna discuss how to download and use the KIK on PC devices (computers, & Windows laptops). Also, I have covered three ways of downloading and installing (using an Android emulator, using chrome extension, and using the app online portal) Kik for PC- Yes, probably you can have it all.
I need you to read through them, pick the method which seems most convenient for you, and if you just follow the listed steps, you’ll be good to go! With that, you’ll also find a guide to figure out how to log in, find friends, create & join groups, etc.
Concerns About Safety:
Like all online social media sites, and especially due to its strong emphasis on anonymity, KIK can also easily be a dangerous app. For that, we have also discussed warnings and ways to stay safe. Read these instructions and warnings carefully to have a complete but safe experience of the app. Just remember that you do not have to be a part of anything that makes you uncomfortable, and you can always leave, block and report.
About the Questions, you might have?
We have also answered some frequently asked questions and provided solutions for common problems, to help you with any queries that you might have while using KIK.
How to download Kik for PC (Windows 7,8,10)
Since it is an Android-based application, therefore, we will be making use of Android Emulators to download the app. These are the software primarily used for running and testing Android applications on PC.
You can use any of the best Android Emulators you may know, or the one you have already installed on your computer. Although the recommended ones are mentioned below:
Method 1 – Download Kik for Desktop using BlueStacks
BlueStacks is a popular & trusted android emulator.
You can download BlueStacks app from this link. After downloading the emulator, install and then run the application. So easy right?
Note – You need to be logged in to your Google account before downloading the app on Play store.
After this, simply follow the below steps:
- Open BlueStacks and click on “My Apps,” and you will see a “Search” bar at the top.
- Head over to it, and type-in “KIK” and hit enter.
- Locate the app, and tap on the “Install” button.
- Now, wait for a minute until you get the KIK app icon available on the “My Apps section” of BlueStacks.
- After successful installation, you can use KIK messenger on your PC.
Method 2 – Download KIK on Computer Using NOX Player
It’s another reliable & popular android emulator you can use to download Kik App on your computer. NoxPlayer is quite similar to the BlueStacks in terms of overall installation procedure. Follow these steps:
- First, download NOX emulator from here.
- Install the Emulator and run it by clicking on its icon.
Check the video to install NOX APP on your PC, once done you can proceed to install KIK via NOX.
- Log in with your Google account and visit the Google play store.
- Search for “KIK” and download the app.
- After installation, login with your KIK messenger credentials.
Method 3 – How to download KIK for PC via chrome extension
- Make sure that your PC has the Google Chrome browser. If it doesn’t then you’ll have to download it from Google.
- Once you have Google Chrome, open it and visit the Chrome Web Store. You can use this link for that: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
- Now type “KIK messenger” in the search bar and search for the app.
- Select your best option (the top of the search result) and click on “Add extension”. This will install the app on your PC. Now you can log in to your KIK account or you can sign up for a new one.
Why do I like the Chrome Extension method for using KIK?
- You don’t need to download the app, per se. It operates online since you are using a web browser extension.
- Even though you’re using a web browser, your data remains safe as all your data is encrypted while browsing.
- Similar to your data, your IP address is also masked. The KIK app, however, may have access to your IP address due to the messenger policy.
- The chrome extension does not include pop up ads unlike many of the emulators that are used to download KIK on PC.
Since its release back in 2010, KIK messenger has only become more and more popular. The app now easily enjoys one of the largest user bases and any instant messaging app. The charm of the app resides in the fact that it is much more than just your usual instant messaging apps. Not only does it let you connect with your friends, chat, share media, and video call but it’s also a great place to meet new people as it lets you talk to strangers, on personal chat as well as public chatrooms. The app is especially popular among youngsters as it takes your anonymity and privacy very seriously, and you don’t even need a phone number to sign up for an account. Kik also has an inbuilt browser that lets you surf the internet and play games while chatting with your friends. With so many features, it feels like everyone can find something to do on KIK.
For an app that provides so much in one, it can often be challenging for new users to explore KIK, even though it has a pretty basic and easy to use interface.
The app was initially meant to be an upgraded version of AOL Instant messenger, with a better looking and simpler interface, and faster service; but soon enough it grew into a whole new social media platform in itself. The app has a number of impressive features, including but not limited to :
- Notifications: Like all traditional messaging applications, KIK also notifies you about the texts that you receive. You can also disable notifications or customize notifications for certain contacts, or new users.
- Inviting Friends: You can invite friends and contacts who are not already on KIK via SMS, email, Facebook and Twitter. You will be notified once your invited contact signs up for KIK.
- Sharing media: In addition to sending unlimited free texts, you can share other multimedia on KIK including pictures, videos, emojis, sketches, etc.
- Profile: You can customize your KIK profile regularly, by changing profile pictures. Additionally, you can add your phone number if you wish to, and you can also hide your phone number so that your profile cannot be searched via phone number.
- Chatting: While chatting, you are live-updated about the other person’s typing status, and the delivery status and read receipt of your text. You can also customize your chat in various ways, including changing colors for the chat bubbles for different contacts. Additionally, you can also create groups and be a part of group chats. Public groups can be accessed via hashtags to help you find groups where conversations revolve around topics of your interest.
- Promoted Chats: One of the features exclusive to KIK, the promoted chats option allows you to browse through popular chats with ongoing discussions about various topics that you can join at your will.
- Privacy: Known widely for the privacy and anonymity it provides to the users, KIK lets you choose whether you allow the app to access your contacts, phone number, etc. Further, you can block users that you do not wish to connect with. Users can only be searched via their KIK user names, keeping your names, phone numbers, emails, etc private.
- Web Surfing: Another feature exclusive to KIK messenger, the application is not just a messaging platform. Instead, it also has an inbuilt browser that lets you surf the web, play games, watch videos, share links, etc while chatting.
KIK Bots: KIK bots are in-built automated apps in the KIK ecosystem. You can tap in the ‘+’ and select ‘Discover Bots’ to browse through Bots. They can be educational, practical, for entertainment, or simply someone to talk to when you are not conversing with real people.
Rare problems while downloading KIK for PC
Even though KIK is one of the most popular messengers, and its Android and iOS versions almost always work smoothly, the PC version can often encounter certain problems. A number of times, the glitch can be in the KIK server itself, and for that users just have to wait for the official fix from the developers.
Most probably, if the problem that you are encountering is a glitch in the server, then it will automatically be fixed in a few hours. Note that a server glitch is not limited to a singular person and is most likely experienced by all users of the app, so you can contact your KIK friends via other social media to check up whether they are facing the same problems as you.
Other times, however, you could be the only user who is facing a problem with the app, in that case you can try out a number of things to fix the problem from your end.
The most common problem that most PC users of the application face, is not being able to log in to their account. Now this can happen for a number of reasons, but most times the issue lies with the Captcha Code. The Captcha is essential for login and sometimes the image just doesn’t load, or it doesn’t move. In that case, here are a few steps you can take to get rid of the problem:-
Check your internet connection. The app needs a working internet connection in order to function properly, and especially the PC app requires a strong connection to load the Captcha image.
- Try refreshing the Captcha.
- Close the app and reload it.
- Clear all app data and then try logging in again.
- If nothing else works, uninstall the app and re-install it.
- Lastly, make sure that your app is updated to the latest version.
- Go to settings, and then click on ‘Help & About Us’, here you will find the option to ‘Update KIK’. This will update the app, and hopefully, it should start working smoothly again.
For other issues like being unable to send texts, or if you can’t upload or download photos, or the videos don’t work properly, then you can try and follow the steps similar to what has been listed above. If nothing works, then chances are that the problem lies in the server itself and it should ideally fix itself as soon as possible.
All social platforms have the equal ability to be liberating and threatening; so is the case with the KIK messenger. KIK has a strict policy of maintaining the anonymity of the user, and like most online platforms, it’s hard to be sure about the person you are conversing with. To keep yourself safe from the regular hazards of online interactions, here are a few steps you can take :
- Choose a secure password and username. Use a strong combination of letters, characters and numbers for your password and username, and remember that you must not give your password to any stranger under any circumstances.
- Do not disclose your private information. Forming connections online is okay, but you must not be too liberal in giving out any personal information about yourself, such as your phone number, address, any financial details, etc.
- Block. Remember that no one can make you participate in any conversation without your consent. Talk to people only if you are comfortable, and if you are no longer interested in a conversation or you start feeling uncomfortable, block the person right away.
- Unfortunately, despite all precautions, sometimes you may have to go through uncomfortable situations, including receiving unwanted messages. Under those circumstances, make sure you report any inappropriate behavior, not only for your safety but also for the safety of the rest of the community.
- Use your judgment. Like you would in real life, if you don’t feel good about a situation, back out of it.